knitnana: Log Cabins, Patchwork Knits, Parcheesi...(sigh)
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Thursday, February 03, 2011

Log Cabins, Patchwork Knits, Parcheesi...(sigh)

In monitoring my Facebook account, I saw a status update from Jared yesterday, linking to the most gorgeous blanket I think I've ever seen. It reminded me of a patchwork quilt, and I immediately shared it with everyone I know on Facebook, and went off to comment on the post to the creator of the blanket (who happens to be a quilter, too). Then I doodled around Ravelry for a bit, reminding myself of how lovely Vicki's Parcheesi was and how much I enjoyed watching her create it. And how taken I was with Hila's Magic Ball Log Cabin made of Noro. I was suddenly reminded that, of course, I also had a Log Cabin on the needles. LONG on the needles...Since March of 2008 to be exact.

Well. It's finished:

As I sat on the heat the past two days, a bit tipsy from muscle relaxers and pain meds, I ripped back the two logs I'd begun to increase the size of it, and wove in all the ends. The reality is, Mission Falls 1824 has been discontinued (sob!) and while I have some of the colors, finding enough to do what I need to do to make this one larger is going to be hard, especially when I've tried to commit to not spending money on yarn.

(Ahem. Well, mostly not. I have bought the black yarn for the Warm Hats Not Hot Heads hat, and there are those two skeins of CTH Supersocke that were on sale that are winging their way to me as we speak...not to mention the mittens...oh my, three pairs of mittens worth of yarn. Oh Yeah. Sure. I'm trying not to buy! HA!)

But I realized, too, that the lap-ghan is the perfect size for my overstuffed chair in the knitting room...(which is the one it's completely covering in that photo up there)
Folded, it makes a perfect TM perch to warm her precious toes.

What do you mean Mommie? It's mine. ALL mine. The Tonk can't have it and neither can you.

Well, we'll see how long it takes for The Tonk to discover that it's 100% wool, one of his favorite things in the whole world to EAT. I'm hoping it will stay out. But if it's even slightly chewed in the next few hours, back into a protective plastic casing it goes.

12 Comments:

Blogger Dawn said...

What a beautiful blanket and GORGEOUS kitty!
:O) That is a bummer when a yarn gets discontinued (and in this case the whole company I think?) Well, I think you did a fantastic job!

(Dawnznitz on CS Board)

1:34 AM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

Your log cabin lap robe turned out beautifully!! Congratulations on finishing it & tell Tonk not to nibble.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Geraldine said...

Oh the blanket is so beautiful Sallee, I love these log cabin patterns. Great job.

Hugs to you and the kids, G

12:20 PM  
Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

It's a amazing what can be done with some strips of color combined in various ways!! Nicely done!! Chawne's work -- both knitting and quilting -- is simply wonderful.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Ariel said...

Your log cabin is beautiful. It's on my list of somedays......

8:48 PM  
Blogger kathy b said...

That is one gorgeous log cabin blanket. WOW I love it. Love that kitty is gorgeous and loving it too. Did you know I am running a charity knit drive for small blankets of acrylic to donate to my animal shelter for the cats? ANyone can send me one.....small ....about 12 by 12 and I'll enter you in a raffle to win some wonderful moosemanor handpaint yarn of your custom coloring. Send me one by 2/28. Please email me for my address if you care to join! Thanks.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Oh, it looks wonderful! I can see why Her Highness is so happy with it :) You are inspiring me to start thinking about how to turn my odds and ends of sock yarn into some kind of afghan... I hope you're hurting less tonight!!
((hugs))

10:05 PM  
Anonymous MrsGreek said...

OH wow, that is so fabulous! i really like the way that it turned out! did you knit or crochet it? i know how to crochet one but i would have to look how to do it knitting style! hugs!

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Lotte84 said...

You sure do a lot of lovely crafting! And I loved getting to see some pics of your gorgeous kitties :) Smart thinking about the lapghan, better have it (slightly) smaller and fitting your chair, than having to fiddle around with a discontinued yarn (boo about that, though!)

I'll definitely come back, love your style of writing, as well as your crafted items :)

Lotte

2:15 PM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

It is great, and the size is great, too. Just enough to warm up, not so much it gets in the way. I'd throw it in my car if the Tonk starts chewing - perfect for folding over your lap on a cold day.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

I love this! All the bright and beautiful colors! :)

2:24 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Mission Falls 1824 is discontinued? Bummer.

That Log Cabin is fabulous! And thanks for the other links too. I love the Log Cabin designs.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!